Thursday, January 9, 2014

Some days, I really hate riding my bike

OK. So, I promised myself that I wouldn't make a post like that. But as I should know, my promises to myself are practically garbage. Mainly, I wanted to avoid this, because it's always controversial. Now, I know I'm not the only one with strong feelings about the matter. Typically, cyclists fall into one of two camps: either you agree with me, or you disagree. And while I know that only Sith tend to deal in absolutes, this is a subject that both sides feel pretty vehemently about, which leaves little to no room for a middle ground. Additionally, what I want to talk about has so many areas that seem gray, or unclear, that any time the subject is brought up, it sparks an argument.

My intention here isn't to make people argue. I want to get that out of the way right now. My goal here is to, in a way, vent about some misconceptions, on both sides, while simultaneously encouraging a discussion along the way. If you agree, OK. If you don't, that's cool, too.

But first, if I may, I'd like to tell you a story.



So, earlier this week, after picking up my lunch (a bean and cheese burrito, if you're interested), I was driving back to the office along a two lane road. I was in the left lane, and to my ride was a Benz. As we approached a red light, I saw a blue SUV change lanes from behind the Benz, to behind me, to the turn only lane next to me. As we came to a complete stop, I looked at the SUV and noticed just how strangely close to my car he was. In fact, his SUV was juuuuuust barely in the lines for the turning lane.

And then he accelerated and cut over into my lane. Through a red light. The guy deliberately chose an unoccupied lane, just to run a red light and cut me off. Just so that he could get in front of the Benz and I. I'd just like to point out that the Benz and I were going the speed limit, and didn't slow down until the light turned red in front of us. Just wanted to mention that for complete transparency.

Anyway, being the upstanding citizen that I am, as soon as he punched it through the red light and cut me off, I did my due diligence to let him know what I thought of his (highly) illegal maneuver. With my car horn. He responded by flipping me off. But I shrugged it off. There was a good chance that I'd never see that guy again, so when my light turned green, I resumed my drive to the office.

At least, until the next light turned red, catching him again. This time, he was in the rightmost lane, right up front. This crossroad, though, was way busier than the last one. There was no way he'd pull the same stunt here, I thought to myself. Then I watched in shock as he pulled forward a bit. Then some more. Then a little bit more. Then punched it again. Riiiiight through the red light. What a douche, amirite? I mean, who does that? I wished immediately after, and still do, that I'd had sense enough to memorize his license plate and call the cops. 

I think it's safe to say that my reaction was similar to this.
Except that I'm way better looking than this guy. Plus, that jacket he's wearing? Really?
Aaaaanyway....later that day, I went out for a short, sunny bike ride. You know, because SoCal refuses to acknowledge seasons. I mean, seriously, check this shit out. This was just from a few days ago.


So anyway, I was out riding my bike, and came up on a red light. Because I'm a law abiding citizen, I braked, then unclipped, then stopped and waited for it to turn green again. As I waited, I saw a pair of other bike riders slow down, look both ways, and then blow through it. I looked at the car next to me and met the drivers eyes, and each of us shook our heads. Especially because a car came flying through the intersection just a few seconds after the riders ran the light.

The sad thing is, I saw about half dozen riders perform this very act during my short 1.5 hour ride. And what was just as surprising was my own subdued reaction. Oftentimes, I ignored their actions, instead focusing on my own. At most, it caused me to shake my head. Why was my reaction to the driver so strong, yet not so when witnessing essentially the same thing amongst my cycling brethren? 

It's just my theory, but I think it's the general attitude of cycling. I can't speak for other states, but I know that in California, bicycles are treated as vehicles. We can't drive on sidewalks, nor are we (technically) allowed to ride on them. Both cars and bikes need to utilize a turn signal when changing lanes. And, yes, we both need to stop at stop signs and red lights. 

I can just imagine all my cycling friends doing this right now.
The ironic thing is, we, as cyclists, get angry at drivers who are angry at us for running red lights and stop signs. It's a self-perpetuating cycle, and one with no winners. They yell at us, telling us to get out of the street, and we yell back, saying that they bought a car, not the road. I'll admit it. I've been on the receiving end of the yelling. And I've yelled back. To the driver, I'm nothing more than a slow pain in the ass lawbreaker, delaying him by that precious 20 seconds before he can floor it past me. 

I don't know about others, but I don't like the stereotype. It's why I've vowed fight against it, in my own way. It's why, if I come up to a red light or a stop sign, you'll see me stop. Because it's the law. And because I want to show drivers that we aren't all rogues who ride bikes just to break a law that, to us, may seem stupid. The thing is, I've seen the difference in the way drivers treat me. Hell, a driver actually rolled down his window during one ride to compliment me on stopping at a stop sign. Then he made an offhand comment about how every other cyclist he'd seen would just blaze through the stop sign. I see the difference my actions make when I come up to a 4-way stop, and yield to the car that stopped before me. 9 times out of 10, they'll wave me through. I like to think that it's out of respect for the fact that I respect them. 

But whatever the reason, I'm just glad that they're not running me down with their 2,000+ pound death machine. Because when it comes down to it, we cyclists are protected by little more than air. Cars? Yeah, they're a big steel box. I don't think I need to paint a picture of what happens when your air bubble comes into contact with a steel box, but suffice to say, that air basically throws out the deuces, and gets out of the way. I, personally, haven't known anyone be seriously hurt by a car, I'd like to keep those injuries to a minimum.

Now, I know that it's tough, being a law abiding cyclist, and being hassled by car drivers who hate us. But honestly, guys, this is a long term fight that we simply can't afford to lose. Prior to the installation of its bike share program, New York nearly lost most, if not all, of it's bike lanes. Toronto's mayor, yeah, Rob Ford of crack smoking fame has also publicly admitted his disdain for the humble bike. I don't want us to lose this fight.

Now, there's a lot of common arguments for why we (we=cyclists) shouldn't have to stop. But whatever they are, I'mma let you finish, but I just wanna say, it's the law that we stop. You may not agree with it. But it is what it is.

The fact of the matter is, riding a bike is a simple, beautiful pleasure that gives back to the community, often times in subtle, subliminal ways. So let's go and show drivers that we're here, we're ready to play nice. I love my bike. I'd just love it more if I knew that I won't be on the receiving end of an unwarranted insult and being honked at.

Sorry for the long, kind of rant post, guys. I promise, something happier and more light hearted for the next one! In the meantime, I'll finish this up with some exclusive footage of me, the first time I climbed onto a mountain bike. My skills haven't exactly improved since then, sad to say.


Till the next one, guys, keep the rubber side down, and your skin off the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment