Sunday, December 22, 2013

On the importance of group rides

Today, I was out on a group ride with a club that I've ridden with for years, when another buddy and I started talking. During the course of our conversation, he mentioned that over the last couple of years while he's been riding with this group, that he's gotten progressively faster, despite not really varying his workouts. That's when I started thinking that group rides give us much more than we think. They help each and every one of us become better riders, in more ways than one.

So tonight, I want to talk about why group rides are just plain rad. I want to talk about why, regardless of who you're riding with, you're all united by a love of at least one thing: your bicycle. The fact that everyone is out there to ride gives us all a platform from which to launch talking to one another. And how a group ride is a sort of ambassador to the rest of the world. H.G. Wells once said, "when I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." I believe that there's a threefold reason for this.

First off is the fact that it shows that we all are capable of taking something as basic and rudimentary as a bicycle, and finding joy in using such a vehicle. Bikes not only make you the method of transportation, but they also make you the passenger. You're out there, not only actively participating in riding your bike, but you also get to experience riding your bike. The wind in your hair (through your helmet, of course). The sun on your skin. Hopefully a light breeze. It's all just a rad experience. And it's something that can take you places and will let you experience things that you may not otherwise be a part of.

(I wouldn't have been in a situation like this if I hadn't of started riding.)

Secondly, they make us all better riders. Riding in groups teaches us to hold our lines. It teaches us riding etiquette, like pointing out hazards to our fellow riders, and waiting when someone has a mechanical. We learn not to half wheel, not to randomly slam on our brakes, and to consider the fact that our actions may impact the people around. It also teaches us when to yield to one another, how to react when someone pulls up right next to us, and it makes us really think twice when we hop behind the wheel of a vehicle, and we see someone out riding, hopefully making us better drivers, as well.

(Yeah! Riding close proximity!)

Third(ly), there's the social aspect of it. As I touched on above, when doing a group ride, each and every one of you are there to ride a bike. It forms a link between you, to the person next to you, to the person on your wheel, to the person pulling the group, to the guy on the other side of the road, riding in the opposite direction. Cycling bonds you with other people who you might not otherwise talk to. I've made a lot of great friends because I've been riding my bike. And a good portion of those discussions started with talking about our bikes, or how often we ride, or why we ride. It's not like going to a party where you may not know anyone, or share their interests. There is, I've found, a sort of united brotherhood among cyclists. To the point where we'll always check on a cyclist that's at the side of the road, to make sure that they're OK, regardless the fact that you may have never ridden with them.

(This photo brought to you by a group ride. For charity!)


Now, you may recall that in the beginning of my blog, I said that my friends riding had improved, despite not really varying what he does. But do you know what the secret to his improvement was? He was riding in a group. All it really takes is one or two people in that group to push the pace, or say a few encouraging words, and suddenly the entire group is going faster. Maybe it's because you've got two guys at the front of the group, doing all the work, and pulling everyone else along faster than they've gone before. Or maybe it's because one guy loves climbing hills (hint: I'm not that guy), and so pushes the pace of his group, making them work together, and work harder, to pull him back. And finally, it takes encouragement and hard work. Pro cyclists, or even really good cyclists, are not built in a day. It takes blood, and sweat, and maybe more than a few tears. But some encouraging words can go a really, really long way. Encouraging someone can make their whole day. It can make their whole ride. And the next time they get out on the bike, they may try that extra little bit harder.

The fact of the matter is, I've made some amazing friends while riding my bike. We swap stories. We talk trash to one another. We push each other. And we look out for one another. There are friends I've made cycling that I wouldn't trade for all the IPA I could drink. So get out there, find a group ride, make some friends, and enjoy the fun!

(Some fantastic beer drinking, trash talking, bike riding dudes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment