Thursday, December 12, 2013

On the topic of helmets

So, I've been thinking about this one for a while. Like, months and months kind of a while. To the point that I actually thought about starting this blog back in August or so, and leading off with this post. Then, yesterday, as I was on my ride, when I saw something that reminded me of my post. But I'll get to that.

See, in June of 2012, I was involved in a pretty gnarly crash, which involved me landing on my helmet. During that crash, I ended up with a cracked helmet, and blood coming out of several new wounds. Thankfully, my bike was fine, and I ended up with only a mild concussion. If I wasn't a believer in the humble helmet before, I sure was now.

This was after I got cleaned up.


A bit of shoulder damage.


Back on track, though. During the summer, people, rather obviously, love being outside. Especially here in SoCal. And why wouldn't they? It's sunny, warm, and gorgeous. SoCal during the summer is picturesque, and practically begs you to set foot outside of your climate controlled shelter and get some wind in your hair. During this time, I always see a huge uptick in the number of people riding their bikes, especially families.

Is this you during the summer?

But, here's what gets me. Probably 60% of the parents out with their kids aren't wearing their helmets. Or one parent will be, while the other is rockin' either nothing, or what some friends and I call "the cloth helmet" (see also: hat). This probably bothers me to no end, but I'd like to try and get my thoughts out there, in the hopes that I'll either figure out why people think it's OK to ride without a helmet, or that somebody, preferably a parent, will explain it to me.

Here's my reasoning, though. I think that we can all agree that kids, whether they want to admit it or not, are impressionable, and will take note of decisions and actions that their parents make. While you, as a parent, may tell your child to wear a helmet when going out for a ride, your kid will notice if you choose to wear one or not and may, at a later date, think that they don't need to, simply because you, as their parent, didn't. How many times have you heard a kid swear, because it's something that they heard their parent say? I know, I'm stretching my parallels here, but I really want to drive my point home. My point is, kids are impressionable, and odds are good that they'll mimic the actions of their parents.

Now, you might argue that you're an adult, and that you don't need to wear a helmet because either A) it's not required by law where you are, or B) you almost never ride, so your chances of crashing are greatly reduced, or C) that you're always really, really, really safe. OK. That's all fine and dandy. But the fact of the matter is, accidents do happen. That's why they're called accidents. Everybody plans on being safe. But when you're about to hit the pavement, that plan you had to be safe goes right out the window.

Do you think that Tory planned on crashing?

While the numbers may vary, studies say that wearing a helmet can decrease your chances of a serious or fatal head/brain injury by anywhere from 63-88%. If somebody told you that wearing a helmet while you ride your bike would decrease your phone bill by 63-88%, you'd do it, wouldn't you? So why not wear a helmet, and decrease your chances of suffering a major injury?

"But Ray," you might proclaim. "My helmet is so ugly! That's why I don't wear it!" I'm gonna hit ya with two points here. First off, you can buy another one. Second off, if somebody can get a cat to wear a helmet, you can put one on, too!

The fact of the matter is, accidents happen. You can't predict them. But you can do what you can to minimize any potential injury.

Sorry if this post sounds super preachy. This has always been a big issue with me. And with the holidays right around the corner, I just want to remind everyone to stay safe out there. As a reward, here's a funny cat gif that I chose, just for you guys!


6 comments:

  1. Alright, alright. It's past time. I'll buy the damn helmet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malgayne, and here I thought that, after your little crash a couple weeks ago, that you'd already picked one up! My sister did the same thing. She was riding to work without a helmet, until she finally got sick of my pestering and bought one.

      While I know that it's easy, point at past experiences, and using that as justification for not wearing a helmet, it doesn't mean that there won't be one in the future. Better safe than blah blah blah. You get what I mean.

      Delete
  2. Just haaad to put the cat gif in there eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My point with the blog has always been to keep the mood of my blog fairly lighthearted. I feel like, with this one, I leaned very much towards the somber side, and felt that a bit of balancing was called for.

      Delete
  3. I don't disagree with anything except maybe leaving out the hard numbers. When I was a kid nobody wore helmets unless it included full gear on a bmx track. It wasn't thought about. Our bikes were everything and we rode them everywhere. A helmet changes the experience. I have a hard time having my kids put them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a very similar time, Harry. When I rode my bike as a kid, helmets were simply ignored. My bike was my earliest form of freedom. But I now know that, as a kid, I did a lot of stupid things on that bike. Things that, at the time, were awesome. But now I look at it and I'm just left in amazement that I never got hurt.

      If that's your stance on the helmet issue, then I won't try to dissuade you. Honestly, it could just be my personal experience speaking here. But anytime I think about riding without a helmet, I stop and ask myself. What would the reactions of my girlfriend, my cat, my friends, and my family be if something happened to me? Something that could be prevented by wearing a helmet?

      You are right, though. Cycling is an experience. I just want people to be safe.

      Delete